Student Right to Know Act
Agency: Department of Education
Effective Date: July 1, 2000
The Student Right to Know Act was finalized November 1, 1999. It requires that institutions receiving Title IV funding disclose certain information, including institutional graduation rates, athlete graduation rates, financial assistance awarded, and crime statistics. Specific guidelines exist as to the method and timing for reporting/disclosure to potential students, current students, and employees. Institutions are required to provide enrolled students a list of the information to which the students are entitled upon request. The HEA specifically requires that institutions provide the list annually to all enrolled students.
NNU is required to:
A. Make available to any enrolled or prospective student, on request through appropriate publications, mailings, or electronic media, information concerning:
- Financial assistance available to students enrolled in the institution.
- The institution.
- The institution's completion or graduation rate. In the case of a prospective student, the information must be made available prior to the student's enrolling or entering into any financial obligation with the institution.
B. By October 1st of each year, make available to enrolled students and current employees the annual security report through appropriate publications and mailings.
C. By October 15th of each year, report to enrolled students, prospective students, and the public on athletic program participation rates and financial support data. NNU must submit the report to the Secretary within 15 days of release to students.
D. Submit the annual security report to the Secretary by October 1st of each year, and in the format specified by the Secretary. (Initial data due to secretary Jan. 2000).
An institution annually must distribute to all enrolled students a notice of the availability of the information required to be disclosed. The notice must list and briefly describe the information and tell the student how to obtain the information. An institution may satisfy any requirement to disclose information by posting to an internet web site. The following rules apply when reporting required information on the web:
A. Information disclosed to students by posting on an Internet web site must be preceded by the notice described above. The notice must also include:
- The exact electronic address at which the information is posted;
- A statement that the institution will provide a paper copy of the information upon request.
B. Annual Security Report
- Enrolled Students -- must receive notice of the availability of the security report, the exact electronic address, and a statement that the institution will provide a paper copy of the information upon request.
- Current Employees -- by October 1st of each year, current employees must receive a notice that includes a statement of the report's availability, the exact electronic address at which the report is posted, a brief description of the report's contents, and a statement that the institution will provide a paper copy of the report upon request.
- Prospective Students & Prospective Employees -- prospective students & employees must receive a notice that includes a statement of the security report's availability, the exact electronic address at which the report is posted, a brief description of the report's contents, and a statement that the institution will provide a paper copy of the report upon request.
C. By October 15th of each year, NNU must make available to enrolled students, prospective students, and the public, athletic program participation rates and financial support data. Enrolled students are to receive a notice of the reports availability, including the exact electronic address at which the report is posted, a brief description of the report's contents, and a statement that the institution will provide a paper copy of the report upon request. It is not acceptable to post to an intranet site for use by prospective students.
Required Institutional Information
Institutional information that the institution must make readily available upon request to enrolled and perspective students includes, but is not limited to:
- The cost of attending the institution including:
- Tuition and fees charged to full-time and part-time students;
- Estimates of costs for necessary books and supplies
- Estimates of typical charges for room and board;
- Estimates of transportation costs;
- Any additional cost of a program in which a student is enrolled or expresses a specific interest;
- Any refund policy with which the institution is required to comply for the return of unearned tuition and fees or other refundable portions of costs paid to the institution;
- Procedures for officially withdrawing from the institution;
- A summary of requirements for return of title IV grant or loan assistance;
- The academic program of the institution, including:
- Current degree programs/training programs:
- Physical facilities which relate to the academic program;
- Faculty and other instructional personnel;
- Names of associations, agencies or governmental bodies that accredit, approve, or license the institution and its programs, and the procedures by which documents describing that activity may be reviewed.
- The institutions must make available for review to any enrolled or prospective student, upon request, a copy of the documents describing the institution's accreditation, approval or licensing.
- A description of any special facilities available to disabled students.
- A statement that the student's enrollment in a program of study abroad approved for credit by the home institution may be considered enrollment at the home institution for the purpose of applying for assistance under the title IV, HEA programs.
Required Completion/Graduation Rates
(departments affected: Institutional Research, Athletic Department)
Required Athletics Graduation Rates
Required Institutional Security Policies
Required Crime Statistics
(departments affected: Public Safety, Human Resources)
Required Athletic Program Participation Rates/Financial Support Information
(departments affected: Athletic Department, Financial Aid)